The free training is recommended but not mandatory.
- Learn more about WHEP
- Find out how we determine wetland health
- Learn how to conduct the sampling
- Learn tips and techniques for identification
- Meet other volunteers on your team
We offer three training opportunities:
- Introduction to WHEP and Field Methods training includes time in a classroom and outside. Dress for the weather and wear appropriate field clothes. If you have waders, feel free to bring them.
- Macroinvertebrate Identification training is held in a classroom and biology labs.
- Vegetation Identification training is a hike-type training outside. Dress for the weather and wear appropriate field clothes.
Register for training when you sign up to be a WHEP volunteer on the Dakota County volunteer website.
Introduction to WHEP & Field Methods
Monday, May 23, 6-8:30 p.m. (check in at 5:30 p.m.)
Dakota Lodge, Dakota County Thompson Park, 1200 Stassen Lane, West St. Paul (Driving directions)
Macroinvertebrate Identification (pick session 1 or session 2)
Saturday, June 11, Session 1: 8:15 a.m.-10:30 a.m. (check in at 7:45 a.m.) or Session 2: 10:30 a.m.-12:45 p.m. (check in at 10 a.m.) Register for one session.
Heritage Hall Room 203, Inver Hills Community College, 2500 East 80th St., Inver Grove Heights (campus map)
Thursday, June 30, 5-8:30 p.m. (check in at 4:30 p.m.)
Empire Lake Picnic Shelter, Whitetail Woods Regional Park (Driving directions)