Our free training is recommended but not mandatory.
- Learn more about WHEP
- Find out how we determine wetland health
- Learn how to conduct the sampling
- Learn tips and techniques for identification
- Meet other volunteers on your team
- Learn from pros - MPCA biologists, consultants, and team leaders
We offer three training opportunities:
- Introduction to WHEP and Field Methods training includes time in a classroom and outside. Dress for the weather and wear appropriate field clothes. If you have waders, feel free to bring them.
- Macroinvertebrate Identification training is held in a classroom and biology labs.
- Vegetation Identification training is a hike-type training outside. Dress for the weather and wear appropriate field clothes.
Register for training when you sign up to be a WHEP volunteer on the Dakota County volunteer website.
Introduction to WHEP & Field Methods
Thursday, May 25, 6-8:30 p.m. (check in at 5:30 p.m.)
Dakota Lodge, Dakota County Thompson Park, 1200 Stassen Lane, West St. Paul (Driving directions)
Macroinvertebrate Identification (pick session 1 or session 2)
Saturday, June 10, 8:30 a.m.-approx. noon (check in at 8 a.m.)
Heritage Hall Room 203, Inver Hills Community College, 2500 East 80th St., Inver Grove Heights (campus map)
(Park in South Parking Lot for most direct walk to Heritage Hall.)
Thursday, June 29, 5-8:30 p.m. (check in at 4:30 p.m.)
Empire Lake Picnic Shelter, Whitetail Woods Regional Park (Driving directions)